This is a very popular South african Teatime treat/Dessert a plus in its favour is it can be made in advance.The traditional version is made with a Puff Pastry base but I find a short crust type base makes it much easier to cut and handle.The filling can also be put into Custard cups and served as a milk pudding. This doesn’t turn you into a sugar bowl so its nice, not too sweet but moreish.
(between you and me Joy I just buy pre-made pie crust, am lazy and generally I always burn it but that is typical Audrey) (I think I should share that with everyone cause I’m lazy too!!!)
30 min | 10 min prep
SERVES 10 -12
- 125 g butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- salt, sifted
- 1 liter milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- Cream the margarine and sugar together and beat in the egg.
- Add the flour and salt and knead until a soft dough is formed.
- Press the mixture into a greased circular pie dish and bake at 350°F/180°C for 15 minutes.
- Bring the milk and margarine to the boil.
- Cream the sugar, eggs, maizena, flour and vanilla essence.
- Add some of the hot milk to the creamed mixture, then pour it back into the pot and heat gently until it thickens.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and cool.
- Refrigerate until required and sprinkle with cinnamon to serve.