1. The bandage was wound around the wound .
2. The farm was used to produce produce
3. The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4. We must polish the Polish furniture.
5. He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6. The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7. Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
8. A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9. When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10. I did not object to the object.
11. The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12. There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13. They were too close to the door to close it.
14. The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15. A seamstress and a sewer both fell down into a sewer line.
16. To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17. The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18. Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
19. I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
20. How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
Let’s face it, English is a crazy language.
WOW, love this! English is a crazy language. It is no wonder the kids go crazy at school with it! Thanks for sharing this!
I liked it too Doraz. Thanks.
Yeah, when people tell me that English is easier to learn than “tonal” languages, I give them examples like the above. Maybe other languages are harder, but English is no piece of cake! One more reason to be glad it’s my native language – mastering it as a second or third language would be a bear.
I couldn’t imagine trying to learn english as a second language. I have enough trouble just the way it is. I worked with a guy from Russia he said alot of things didn’t make sense he also said the metric system is alot easier evrything is in multiples of 10. Here 12 inches 0ne foot. Three feet one yard. Ok confused now time to go to bed, Shane too because its two.
I absofruitly ADORE this one… oi vey you know me and languages! Am in heaven now!
The English language is nutty! I wouldn’t want to learn it as a 2nd or 3rd language either! I took French in school…never got the hang of that! Oh Joy, you must tell me how you like our new book. I bet it’s very interesting!!! He seems like such a good man.
I’ve just nicely started the book Nikki. Tony Dungy is awesome. I’ve loved him forever. I’ll keep you posted.
I’ll be the first to jump on that bandwagon. It irritates me when people try to teach kids to spell and read by the sounds of the words… there are just too many exceptions! I have taught my kids to recall the way the word looks, to take a picture of it in their brains and pull it up visually. It comes easier to some people than others, but at least it is foolproof.
THe English language is hard and while it was not my worst subject in school it was not my favorite!!
Gallagher did a thing on the English language too. It was hillarious!
Ah, this post is right up my alley Joy! Don’t forget about idioms!