These are the biggest hit at all of our family get togethers. I thought everyone had heard of them but I found out that isn’t the case! So if you haven’t heard of them or haven’t tried them…..you’re in for a real treat! They make for an easy appetizer and always the first to go!
- 1 pound ham (approx. 12 slices), lunch meat style – rectangular or square slices
- 1 – 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened, or do what we do and use whipped cream cheese…much easier!
- 1 jar midget dill pickles…whatever pickles you like! I like using Milwaukee midget pickles.
- Lay out the ham slices on a cutting board or mat.
- Stir the cream cheese until easily spreadable.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on the ham. (This can be tricky if the ham is really wet. I let sit out while I am stirring the cream cheese and getting out the plastic wrap. You could pat dry if needed.)
- Cut the ends of the pickles and then lay side by side onto the cream cheese, about an 1/2-inch from the edge. (Use the long edge if your ham is rectangular.)
- Roll up the ham.
- Wrap by rolling in plastic wrap.
- Put into the refrigerator, at least a couple of hours or over night is best.
- Unwrap the roll and slice (you get slices that fall apart because of the ends of the pickles, but are good to eat!) into 1/2-inch slices and arrange on a plate or platter.
- To avoid pickle ends, chop the pickles sprinkle over cream cheese or mix into the cream cheese.
- Add garlic, chives, parsley, etc to the cream cheese.
- Use thin slices salami or other rollable meat.