I’ve been following an occasional series over at PetitElephant, called “What’s in your purse?” It’s an entertaining little series, and I got inspired.
I can’t count the number of times I’ve had a guy pick up my purse and utter those famous words…
“What the HELL is in that thing???”
Well, boys and girls, I’ll show you mine, if you show me yours. Men, here’s a peek into the super-secret world of a lady’s purse. Nothing scary, nothing mysterious, but mess with it, and we’ll mess with you.
So here we go.
This is the purse of the moment. In addition to being an “office supplies whore”, I’m also a sucker for purses and handbags. I love bright colors for summer, and for winter, I generally switch to something khaki, or brown, or leather, or whatever. And I often change purses monthly, or to satisfy the activities for the day. So here’s my current Summer Purse. The lovely outside:
That stuff attached to the handle is a large carabiner, with a little globe attached to it. Inside the globe? Lip balm! Mango flavored! A free gift for going to a Dillard’s make-up show. And then my car/house/everything keys are ‘binered to that. I use Carabiners for EVERYTHING. They’re lifesavers. Why yes, I DO have an Indiana Jones Lego Guy on my keys.
And now the journey into the heart of the purse…
- Wallet (Fossil. Got it for nearly nothing, and I love, love, love it)
- Suede case for monthly necessities (says, “Need Chocolate!”)
- Checkbook (“please, please, PLEASE, let there be one check left!”)
- Aleve canister that now holds Advil. Or Tylenol. Or aspirin.
- Zicam spray
- Notebook for Blog ideas and whatever else springs to mind
- Beauty Necessities
- Purple leather pouch to hold: Clinique Lip Gloss, Clinique Mascara, Burt’s Bees Honey Lip Balm, Nail Clipper, Compact Mirror.
- Travel bottles of Clinique & Vaseline Hand Lotions
- Comb, barrette
- Birthday Candles – yes, there’s a story
- Josh’s socks. Because you never know when you’re going to end up in a McDonald’s Playplace, or find a decent pair of gym shoes that he needs.
- Weight Watchers tracking book and weekly update newsletter
- A Plethora of Pens and their “Cars” Carrying case. Yes, I know, I carry a ridiculous amount of pens. And a dried-up Tide To Go. I should throw that away.
- Tape measure
- Harold the Helicopter
- Extra SD card for my camera
- Glasses. Because my contacts prevent me from reading stuff
- Melted chocolate chip granola bar which got evicted directly after this photo was taken
- The offending broken hose from my lawn mower which STILL hasn’t been replaced
- Phone, which usually lives in my pocket (the earpiece lives in the truck)
- Fooseball. Yes, a fooseball.
So there you have it. Nothing insidious, nothing scary, just the basic necessities of life, except for sunglasses, a pocket knife and a roll of duct tape. Those are in the truck!
I also often keep a softcover book in there, but right now I’m reading a large hardcover.
So here’s the challenge… What’s in YOURS? Do you carry anything weird, like lawn mower parts or helicopters? Or is yours tidy and neat with no extra stuff that you don’t need? Do you use everything in there, or is there a bunch of “just in case” stuff?
And this isn’t just limited to the ladies… I’ve seen plenty of weirdness in men’s wallets and cars. They just don’t carry it around in a purse.