- 2 zucchini, ends trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 links Italian-style chicken sausage, casings removed
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 sweet onion (such as Vidalia®), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cut a lengthwise 3/4-inch thick slice from each zucchini. With a spoon, scoop out the flesh, leaving a shell intact all around the zucchini. Discard or save the flesh for another use. Chop up the long slices of zucchini.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the chicken sausage, breaking the meat up as it cooks, until the sausage has begun to brown, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle in the crushed red pepper flakes, and season with salt and black pepper. Stir in the chopped zucchini, onion, and garlic, and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Scrape the sausage mixture into a bowl, and stir in the tomatoes, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and basil until the stuffing is thoroughly combined.
- Lightly stuff the zucchini boats with the stuffing, place the zucchini into a baking dish, and bake until thoroughly heated through and beginning to brown on top, about 30 minutes.
Oh my goodness. This sounds heavenly. The calories aren’t too bad either. I love zucchini AND Italian sausage. I’m going to get the stuff for these tomorrow.
oh Joy, make these for your scentsy party 😉 They look heavenly!
I was looking for a recipe with zucchini and came across this. Both Jason and I love zucchini! I can’t wait to try it.