This recipe from Taste of home is pretty heavy, but easy to lighten up by using turkey sausage or turkey bacon and low-fat cheese. I also like to throw in some vegetables like chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, and peppers so it’s pretty much a complete meal along with some fruit salad. Add some chopped flat leaf parsley on top if you want to make it really pretty.
- 1 pound sausage (turkey sausage or turkey bacon works well too)
- 1 1/4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese (low-fat is fine)
- Chopped vegetables of your choice
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (skim works)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
In a skillet, brown sausage; drain.
Spoon into an ungreased 10-in. pie pan.
Top with potatoes, cheddar cheese, and vegetables.
In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, and pepper; pour over cheese.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake, uncovered, at 375°F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.