This recipe is one my mom hand wrote on the back of
an old recipe book. I’m sure it was one of those that came
from a friend over the phone.
Moist chiffon cake, draped in chocolate ganache
is sure to please those looking for that not too sweet cake,
with all the goodness of rich creamy frosting.
When serving, top with fresh raspberries and a dollop of whipped cream.
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix cocoa powder and water together. Stir well, and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, add flour 1 1/2 cups sugar baking soda and salt.
- Beat egg whites together with cream of tarter until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, and beat until egg whites are stiff.
- Add slightly beaten egg yolks, oil, cocoa mixture and vanilla to egg whites and using a spatula, fold gently into the whites until everything is well blended.
- Pour into ungreased tub pan and bake at 350º for 60-70 minutes.
- Invert pan and allow to cool. Remove to cake plate. This cake freezes well up to a month.
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces good quality milk chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 5 ounces good quality dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tsp vanilla or rum extract
- In a heave sauce pan heat cream until just boiling. Make sure you stay with it so it does not scorch or boil over. It only takes several minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in chocolate until completely melted. Add extract.
- Cool slightly until ganache begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Pour slightly warm, thick ganache over cake.