1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
3 cups powdered sugar
3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Toppings* (unsweetened cocoa powder, crushed pistachios, etc.)
*Tip: You can coat truffles in just about anything, like shredded coconut, cinnamon, crushed peppermint candies and cookie crumbs, to name a few. To intensify the flavor, add natural extracts—vanilla, almond, hazelnut and cherry are especially yummy with chocolate.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with handheld or stand mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Mix in flavored extract, if desired.
- Melt chocolate. Create a double boiler by boiling a pot of hot water and placing a heat-safe bowl on top, or use your microwave to melt the chocolate.
- Add melted chocolate to cream cheese mixture and stir well.
- Refrigerate truffle mixture for at least one hour, then mold into 1” balls.
- Fill small bowls with toppings, then roll truffles in toppings to coat. Transfer to paper cupcake liners, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tip: If time’s tight, freeze the truffle mixture for 10 minutes, mold, then roll in toppings and refrigerate until ready to serve.
From Martha Stewart