- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Place mashed potatoes in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the egg, cheese, onions and bacon bits. Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in bread crumbs. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry potato balls, a few at a time, for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
From Taste of Home
What a great idea!! I am going to have to make these!!
Wow, this is actually from the Netherlands, it is called aardappel kroketjes. If you make a meat substance instead of the mashed potatoes, roll it through, flour, bated egg and bread crumbs, you have the original Dutch bitterballen.
When I was in the navy and deployed aboard the JFK the galley would serve mashed potatoes for one meal then run the mashed poltatoes through a strainer into boiling oil too make “french fries.” Not a big fan. Lol
Potatoes, cheese and bacon?! Help me!!!!!!! Why do I have to love these foods SO much?!