- 4 cups portzelky or raisin bread, cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cube bread and place in a well greased souffle or deep dish casserole dish.
- In microwave or on the stove top heat milk and butter together just until butter melts.
- Stir in sugar.
- Beat eggs and add to milk mixture. Stir in cinnamon and vanilla. Pour over bread cubes.
- Bake in pre-heated 370º oven for 30 minutes. Lower heat to 350º and bake another 20-30 minutes. During the last 20-30 minutes you may want to loosely lay a piece of foil over the top if it is getting too dark.
- Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before serving. This helps the pudding to set.
Warm Vanilla Sauce
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- pinch salt
In a small sauce pan stir together first 3 ingredients. Set over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture bubbles and sugars are dissolved. The sauce will thicken in about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla and a pinch of salt.
Serve warm over warm bread pudding. Ice cream is a nice choice for a topping as well.