- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs , cut into 1/2-to-3/4-inch chunks or thin slices and blotted dry
- 1/2 tsp. salt , plus more to taste
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper , plus more to taste
- 1 Tbsp. cumin seeds (optional)
- 1/2 small red onion , finely chopped
- 1 pound large new potatoes , grated or shredded
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala or curry powder , or to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup snow peas , strings removed (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or mint leaves , chopped, for garnish
- Lime wedges , for garnish
Put a couple tablespoon of oil in a large 12″ nonstick or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over high heat. When hot, quickly stir in chicken and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Cook, undisturbed, until it sears, just a minute or two. Continue cooking, stirring once or twice, until chicken has lost its pink color, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.Turn heat down to medium-high and add remaining oil to pan. When hot, add cumin seeds (if using), fry for 30 seconds, then add onion and potatoes. Add garam masala, along with 1/4 teaspoon salt and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring or tossing, until onion has caramelized and potatoes are lightly browned, about 10 minutes; potatoes need not be fully tender.Return chicken to pan along with snow peas and continue cooking and stirring for about 2 minutes, or until chicken is warmed through and snow peas are crisp-tender. Taste, adjust seasoning, and serve garnished with cilantro or mint and lime wedges.
- You can always substitute other spring vegetables for the same effect, such as asparagus, spinach, or broccolini.
- Stir-fried potatoes are a fast way to get potatoes on the table. They should be thoroughly cooked but a little crunchy from frying quickly. A little like hash browns.
- To make this vegetarian, substitute tofu cubes for the chicken or use up to a cup of shelled peanuts. Choose peanut or grapeseed oil here so you can get it hot without too much smoking. If neither is available, use canola oil.