It’s finally done. Almost. Well, maybe not so much, since it’s probably a work in progress, but for now, it’s DONE!!
Josh’s Lego Desk!!
We started with this nightmare:
That’s the bottom 4″ of a refrigerator box, reinforced with duct tape (of course). And it’s FULL of Lego, and overflowing. This is what my floor looked like when the Lego collection was under control. Out of control, and there were Legos EVERYWHERE. Something had to be done. So I started browsing about the Web, and came upon two different Lego organizing systems that ladies had made for their kids. The first was at I Heart Organizing (that’s page 3 in a series). Hers was cute, but impractical for us because the tops of the bins were open, and we live on a VERY dusty gravel road. Open tops are dust-magnets. But I loved her idea of a build bin:
I found a really cute (and not at all girl-ish) bin at Target that would be his Build Bin. He started using it immediately.
The second source of inspiration came from Playing House. She made a similar organizer, but hers was a full-on desk with drawers. THAT idea I liked much better than just a stack of drawers that required him to continue playing on the floor. I wanted him up and contained. So I stole the idea of the plastic drawer stacks.
Sorting took some thought, too. Big Brother Jim suggested sorting by size, which is a good idea if you have a wall of space and about a billion drawers. But I only had six drawers. And ten colors. So I decided to use smaller bins to organize the collection by color…
(the computer is there for music. MUST have music for sorting) And while the sorting may have taken a couple of days, it ended up taking a month, because I kept finding a thousand other things to do. Anyway, while Josh and his friend started the sorting, I worked on the second half of the project – the table top. I’d purchased a large piece of 3/4″ plywood – a 4 by about 3 sheet from Home Depot, and a friend cut it down the rest of the way for me. The finished board is about 4×2. I sanded it, primed it and painted it:
And then, FINALLY, we finished sorting, and put it all together in a cubby next to the fireplace in our living room. We decorated the wall with parts of the boxes that some of his kits came in, I donated my office chair, and voila!! Lego Desk:
We had to consolidate some of the colors (yellow/orange and blue/purple) so that all of the smaller containers would fit into the larger drawers…
And we separated out all of the people and their paraphernalia, so they’re easy to find and don’t cause trouble when stuck in with all the colors.
We may still edit things. After I took all the pictures, I found a little box and put his Lego Take-apart-the-stuck-ones tool in it, and stuck it to the wall, so he can always find that little tool. We also may consider the option of pulling out all the 1×1 and 1×2 pieces and putting them in a little tiny drawer-sorter. But for now, we’re happy with what we have. And God willing… no more Legos on the floor!!!