1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons beaten egg (from 1 egg)
1/2 cup sorghum syrup
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups hot water
5 tablespoon butter, melted
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup sugar. Beat in egg.
- Stir sorghum and 1/2 cup water in a measuring cup.
- Alternately add flour mixture and sorghum mixture to butter mixture, mixing to blend between additions.
- Pour batter into the buttered baking dish, and sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the top of the batter.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups hot water and melted butter in a small bowl. Gently poor over top of batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until top is cracked and toothpick inserted in to center comes out clean.