- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Assorted fresh fruit
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In another bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter; fold in remaining whites.
- With a spoon, gently fill foil- or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice. Frost cupcakes. Top with fruit. Yield: 22 cupcakes.
Nutritional Facts1 serving (1 each) equals 226 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
From Taste of Home