I hope everyone had a good week! Mine was good. Well, Thursday ended up being very Monday-like. I woke up and the temperature inside the house was at 65. What the heck?! My father in law came over to check the furnace out. No such luck. Couldn’t figure it out! A friend of ours ended up calling, and he walked me through a few steps and Voila it came back on! In the mean time, I tried my best to start a fire. I’m not very good at that. 😦

Weekend plans? Saturday, I believe we are going to the trick or treat thing they do downtown here. Sue, Jenny, Joy, kids…feel free to join us! 🙂 It’s from 2-4pm.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

This entry was posted in TGIF, trick or treating, weekend and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to T.G.I.F!!!!!

  1. Jenny says:

    This Saturday Nikki? I suppose so since Halloween is Wednesday. Saturday is going to be busy for us. Got the Spooky Sprint 5k in the morning. Jason, Sue, & Toby are gonna freeze their buns off!!! HAHAHA I will be watching this year, but I get to be all bundled up atleast. Hunter is either gonna wear a dragon costume or be a tiger for the race. We still need to get pumpkins from Sue and carve them! Maybe we’ll do that Saturday afternoon. Then in the evening we’re hoping to get out and have some fun. 😀

    Wasn’t the snow pretty today? Just pretty…I’m glad it went away! Too early for it. I hope it’s nice for Halloween this year. Nothing new with me, Besides endless Dr visits it seems like lately. Well might as well, since I’ve met my deductible! Have a great chilly weekend all.

  2. SKL says:

    Well, it’s been a stressful week over here! I’m working on this “big project” and I’m waiting for some info that the client’s tax guy promised me. I’m following up because the guy got buried in his own October 15 deadline and couldn’t send me the stuff. Next thing I know, I’m hearing the client’s finance guy thinks I’m not interested and maybe he should hire someone else to do the job. Ugh. Pretty much ruined half of my week. I think we’re OK now that the finance guy knows it was his tax guy holding it up, but I’m still under the gun to get the stuff done. And a number of other deadlines are hitting right now. Story of my life.

    Today (Thursday) was exhausting on the personal front. The kids had the day off school, so I scheduled a bunch of kid-personal stuff. They got their final shot to keep the school happy, and then Miss A had a therapy appt followed immediately by a vision appt. (Miss E was with us too, and since the portable DVD player was on the blink, she wasn’t too happy being asked to sit in the waiting room for 2 hours. She talked me into letting her sit in on the 2nd appt.) We were there until 4pm and then I had to go home and do some work and then the girls had karate, quick dinner, and gymnastics from 5:30-8:30. It’s a good thing they don’t have school tomorrow (Friday) either, because I sure didn’t have any energy to chase them about homework after all that. Now I am glugging down some coffee so I can do a bunch of work tonight.

    I still have to digest the outcome of Miss A’s appointments. On the vision side, she is having some problems with focus which she wasn’t having a year ago. The doctor prescribed some daily exercises and glasses with prisms in the lenses. He also recommended that she do more vision therapy in the summer. On the auditory processing side, they are recommending a music-based listening program for which I’d have to buy some expensive equipment. I need to look more into that. They also suggest I have a chiropractor look at her for some stuff. They say her reflex issues are improving with the exercises we’ve done, and they prescribed some new exercises. They say they are impressed with Miss A’s progress in this regard and they might want to use her as a “case study.” The therapist was so impressed to see how well she did this one long, complex exercise, she said next time she might video it as a demo for other families. So I guess we’re doing something right. Now if we could see some results on the school front. Wednesday was the last day of the 1st quarter, and we did OK. Miss A has a B average, which is fine with me (all things considered), but the teacher included a note saying that her potential is much higher and she needs to try harder and focus. I think she tries plenty hard, but I was glad to see the teacher views her as being intelligent. I always seem to feel defensive about that. Miss E did great, but I think she’s beginning to feel a bit left out with all the time I’m spending on her sister. One more thing to watch out for.

    There’s also drama on the family front. One thing is a legal issue involving some property that a grandmother left several siblings. A word to the wise: don’t leave an indivisible asset like a house to a bunch of people who don’t have much to do with each other. Especially if one of them is married to a . . . never mind. You get the picture. Because I’m a lawyer, people look to me for advice, but I really don’t know this stuff and I don’t have the time or energy to figure it out. I know that sounds cold, but it’s true. I’d be happy to pay the lawyer fees if they want to hire someone who knows what he’s doing and could get this done and over with.

    The other sad thing is that my mom’s eye is having problems again, and she may need another corneal transplant. She has some procedure to go through on Tuesday and then we’ll know more. This sucks! I know other people have worse things going on, but my mom has been waiting for like a year with a film over her eye hoping that she’d be able to see out of it around now, and this happens. Of course there is nothing anyone can do about it other than hope and pray. I feel like crap because I don’t even have time to answer the phone when my siblings call, let alone do anything to fix these kinds of things.

    On the positive side, Baby G had her 18-month evaluations and has done really well. She’s been discharged from speech therapy, and only one of her limbs is still a little gimpy. They are still hoping that continued physical therapy will be enough without medical procedures, but we’ll see. Cognitively she’s fine, which is a big relief for her mom, after all those scary brain bleeds. It’s pretty amazing when you think back to those days when some of the doctors considered her a lost cause. The funny thing is, she has these eyes that look at you like “don’t you even mess with me.” I would love to see her go tell those doctors off someday in her own words. 🙂 But anyway, God is great.

    This weekend my girls have to sing in church Saturday night, and then we have a “skating party” Sunday afternoon. I remember church “skating parties” when I was a little girl. I remember I had this blue “skatin’ skirt” and matching blue underwear :). I spent most of the time falling on my butt, but somehow those are good memories. I hope it is fun for my girls too.

    Have a great weekend, everyone!

  3. starlaschat says:

    Maybe you guys are getting ready for the trick or treat event in your area sounds like fun!
    We are going to a football game here outside it’s supose to snow today! It’s 22 now the News says it should warm up to the 30’s I hope so the kids are excited. Other than the game I’m not sure what we will be doing this weekend. Probably cleaning some that seems to be always an on going project. Why can’t I just clean the house and it just stay clean forever…..Oh well I guess that’s not how the world is oh well. Have a Great Weekend.

  4. Laura says:

    Ahhhh…. so… (shhhhh) (whispered, looking around conspiratorially…) it seems as though things are calming down a little here. Scouts is still a little tricky, but slowly, I seem to be getting through some of the stress-markers, step by step. A big one was this weekend. The boys who earned a reward by helping to clean up the football field all through September and October attended a local Haunted House on Saturday night. My Wolf leaders, who work it, set it up for us. The boys got a “backstage tour” – which means they got to go through with the lights on and see how all the scary stuff is set up and how it works. Then after, they were made up as little Zombies and got to hang out outside and scare the patrons as they entered and exited. Meanwhile, across the river, we had a campsite and had two good fires going (one for warming up and S’mores, the other for heating water for Hot C and for a pot of coffee). The boys who weren’t into the Haunting could hang out at the fire. We had enough adults to cover both sides, so I got to split my time between the two. I was totally stressing about it, because we’ve never done it before, but it turned out awesome. I think the adults enjoyed it as much as the kids did. It’s amazing how a campfire will fix everything.

    In that vein, Miss Nikki, HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW TO BUILD A FIRE??? I can see that, when a certain drama in my life is finally over, that road trip to MN that we keep talking about is SORELY needed. I will be teaching you this very valuable skill, my friend.

    My big ‘thing’ right now, on top of all the craziness of work, Josh’s social/sports schedule, and scouts, is looking around this house and seeing the disastrous results of four and a half years of a very deep depression. I didn’t realize just how depressed I was, for a while there… days when i could barely pull myself out of bed. And the place has suffered. I’m buried in clutter. Stuff that should have been rotated out years ago (like kid toys, books, old clothes) is just piled in corners and in boxes. I’ve got a HUGE project in cleaning it out. Friends have suggested that I keep it for garage sale, but no. I’m just going to donate it. I’ll inventory it for taxes if I have time, but otherwise, out it goes. The time has come for a massive purge. I’m not going to let that old stuff drag me down again. I’ve shaken the worst of the depression, I think, and I refuse to go back there. So i’m thinking it’s the “eat an elephant” approach for me: a bite at a time. I think the clothes in my room will go first. I’m never going to “grow back into” most of them, and even if I do, I’m not going to want them. So out they go.

    Wish me luck. I’m gonna need it.

  5. skl1 says:

    I’m not sure whether I should be relieved or sick. I’m a little of both. A client who was not cooperating in my project has decided to terminate and pay me for the work done to date. Of course it feels bad to have something aborted like that (I believe this is the first time it ever happened to me), but the fact that they are asking for a bill means they admit their fault. This will free me up to catch up on other stuff. So why do I feel like I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop?

    • Joy says:

      I think you should feel relieved. Being they’re paying you means they know you weren’t at fault.

    • skl1 says:

      Well, so I took a nap (been up most of the night working) and then got up to get back to work.

      Pretty soon my computer got infected by a virus. That took about an hour to fix.

      Then I spilled an entire cup of coffee all over my files, electronics, and carpet.

      Maybe I should go back to bed!! But I promised to get some work out today, so back to it!

    • Laura says:

      Let them go with your blessing. Sometimes things just don’t work out. If you wait too hard for the “other shoe”, it’ll create itself and drop right on you. Don’t create problems where there are none!! Maybe someone upstairs was listening when you said that you were feeling a little overwhelmed and decided to cut you a break!

  6. Joy says:

    I really laughed at your fire too!!! Next time I come over I’ll teach you. I guess I’ve always known how to start a fire that I thought everyone could. Save a few newspapers.

    • Nikki says:

      I guess the real problem was keeping it going, not starting it. I’ve never had to. I know to put wadded up newspaper under the wood, but I didn’t know how to stack the wood right. I got it now.

      • Joy says:

        I was only laughing in a good way Nikki. If you never had to build a fire, why would you?

      • Laura says:

        The trick… wadded paper, a teepee out of kindling over it, surrounded by a ‘log cabin’ of larger kindling (like as thick as your finger). Then add 2-4 larger pieces on top of that, maybe 1″-2″ diameter. Once that’s going decent, add your logs. Not too many, maybe two. And then just keep adding them one at a time as you need them.

    • skl1 says:

      It used to be my job to keep the woodburner going when I got home from school as a teen. (That was how we heated our house in those days, LOL.) I used to be a “little” irresponsible so sometimes the fire would go completely out before I got more wood on there. So then I’d have to rebuild it before Dad got home. It was fun! There’s something entrancing about watching a fire that you’ve built.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s